return to Home page    Cleveland and the Freeing of Soviet Jewry     

Louis Rosenblum A Biographic Sketch
 

Louis Rosenblum

Louis (Lou) Rosenblum (b. 1923) is a retired scientist who directed the Solar and Electrochemistry Division at the Glenn (formerly Lewis) Research Center of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in Cleveland, Ohio. Rosenblum began his higher education at Brooklyn College in 1941 and enlisted and served in the U. S. Army Infantry from 1943 to 1946. He served in the Pacific Theater, fought in the battle for Okinawa, was awarded the bronze star and, at the conclusion of hostilities, served in the army of occupation in Japan. In 1948, he graduated from Brooklyn College with a B. S. in Chemistry and continued to Ohio State University where, in 1952, he was awarded a Ph. D. in Organic Chemistry.

 
 

1945

Married to Evelyn Mull in 1949, they have four children: Janet, Miriam, Diane, and Daniel.

From 1952-1981, Dr. Rosenblum worked for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio, as research scientist and technical manager in fields of high energy fuels for jet aircraft, high temperature materials, liquid metal corrosion, environmental monitoring systems, and solar photovoltaic and electrochemical energy systems. In 1969 Dr. Rosenblum was appointed Chief of the Direct Energy Conversion Division responsible for research and development activities in the areas of thermionics, photovoltaics and electrochemistry.

In 1977 he was appointed Chief of the Solar and Electrochemistry Division responsible for 1) research and development of space related photovoltaics and energy storage and 2) U.S. and international demonstration projects for terrestrial application of photovoltaic and electrochemical storage systems. He was appointed to the Federal Senior Executive Service in 1979 and retired from NASA in 1981. From 1982-1988, Rosenblum worked as a private consultant in photovoltaic and renewable energy system for several U. S. and international clients, including the University of Michigan, the U. S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and the United Nations Development Program.

 
 

1979

In 1963, Rosenblum and fellow members of Beth Israel-The West Temple, a Cleveland synagogue, founded the Cleveland Council on Soviet Anti-Semitism the first public organization dedicated to help Soviet Jews. Its success was recognized nationally and became a model for other local groups. In 1970, the CCSA joined with five other grass-root councils to create the Union of Councils for Soviet Jewry (UCSJ. Rosenblum served as the first president of the UCSJ, 1970-1973. In 1985 the UCSJ included 32 member councils across the United States, the largest independent Soviet Jewry organization in the world.

next >  Biography - Ann Shenkar

 

2007 Louis Rosenblum

Top of Page       Continue      Table of Contents      CJH Home