Anshe Chesed Congregation would occupy its new building on
Scovill Avenue just before the
High Holy Days in 1887, less than a year after the cornerstone-laying ceremony described above.
Cleveland was growing at an accelerating rate. The stream of
immigrants from Southern and Eastern Europe that had begun after the
Civil War became a great wave. Population more than doubled between
1890 and 1910: from 261,000 to 560,000. Immigrants moved into the
old neighborhoods downtown and some to the near west side. More established
families moved to newer neighborhoods away from downtown. Some went
west of the Cuyahoga River, some south. Most who were east of the
river kept moving east.
With families of the 1880's and 90s having four or
five children, the native-born Jewish population
swelled We believe that most Jewish children stayed
in Cleveland, married other Jews, and joined the
shul in which they had been raised. (How different
is that today for most of today's Reform Jewish
They would keep moving east to newer
housing, often following the streetcar lines. We find them living with non-Jewish neighbors
north and south of Euclid Avenue: by 1880 at East 55th, by 1910 almost at University
Less than 25 years later, its membership quadrupled, Anshe
Chesed, now led by American-born Rabbi Louis Wolsey, would move in March 1912
to Euclid Avenue and East 82nd Street and become known as the Euclid Avenue
December 1913 the old
synagogue building was sold to bakery owner Jacob Makoff, its towers removed, and converted to a movie theater.
Scovill Avenue has become Community College Avenue and the land is
now part of Cuyahoga Community College.
happened to the time capsule from 1886 that was in the
Scovill Avenue cornerstone? The copper box was moved to the cornerstone of
the Euclid Avenue Temple. Is it still there? As our
rabbis say, that is a good question.
Webkeeper Arnie Berger 12/08/15