Chibas Jerusalem (Love
founded in 1904, built this structure in 1926. In 1952, with many
members now living in "the Heights", it merged
with Congregation Oheb Zedek to form
Taylor Road Synagogue. In 1953
it sold this property to a church. The building has been vacant for many
The building, unstable and dangerous to enter, will soon
A stained glass window, salvaged from the
Chibas Jerusalem building just before the museum opened
in 2005, is one of the many treasures at the Maltz
See February 23, 1952 Plain Dealer story below.
Rabbi Engelberg (1910-1997), Oheb Zedek's first American-born,
American-educated rabbi, had succeeded
Porath in 1939. He would serve Taylor Road Synagogue until
1984. For a time Taylor Road Synagogue was the largest Orthodox
synagogue between New York and Chicago. On May 12, 1985 the
congregation held the first Orthodox Bat Mitzvah in Cleveland.
Read PD story.
Permission to use images granted but only
with photo credit and website name
"Photo by Arnold Berger, on www.ClevelandJewishHistory.net"