Fir Street Cemetery at Fir Avenue and West
61st Street on Cleveland's West side, is the city's
second oldest Jewish cemetery.
1865 Last burial 1969 0.9 acres
The cemetery has three
● east (near West 58th) Heights Jewish Center
● center Hungarian Aid Society
● west (near West 61st) Anshe Emeth (Park Synagogue)
Graves include Herman Sampliner (1835-1899) the
founder of B'nai Jeshurun Congregation and
(1856-1920) ward boss and councilman.
Plain Dealer story on how neighborhood groups
have restored this cemetery
For more on this renovation project. (pdf, 2.5
The headstone and pictures on page 18 are of the
By 1865 there were two
swing bridges across the Cuyahoga River so
ferries were no longer needed. Bridge Avenue (see
map below) may have led to one.