|Rabbi Israel Porath - Memorial Window|
The stained glass immigration window
The building shown at the left is in Lyndhurst, Ohio, on the north side of Cedar Road, between Green and Richmond Roads. It was dedicated as Cedar Sinai Synagogue in 2011, the new home of Warrensville Center Synagogue - Kehillat Yaakov, which had been located on Warrensville Center Road, south of Mayfield Road.
In July 2012 some members of Taylor Road Synagogue joined Cedar Sinai Synagogue, which then adopted a new name "Oheb Zedek Cedar Sinai Synagogue". The two congregations have not merged however.
Though the outside of this building is simple, its interior is splendid. The lower picture at the left shows the chapel in the early morning light. The two stained glass windows in the chapel tell the history of the synagogue and its times.
The window at the right, titled Immigration Window, donated by Lester Tavens and family, is dedicated to the memory of Rabbi Israel Porath and Rabbi David Genuth. The window is shown below, with an explanation of its design and information on the artist.
Rabbi Israel Porath led the Oheb Zedek and N'vai Zedek congregations, which live on in the history of this shul. During his years as "dean" of Cleveland's Orthodox rabbis he did much to further unity and community. Thus it is specially appropriate that he be remembered here, in a congregation that describes itself as "The Modern Orthodox Shul for Unity and Community."
The lowest panel
The old country. Europe with small houses, broken menorah, sword, whip etc. There also is the yellow star "Jude" that Hitler's Germany forced Jews to wear.
The middle panel
The ship, its passenger
manifest and Ellis Island are next.
There is the symbol of
Menorah Park, the front page of Die
Yiddishe Velt (Cleveland's main Yiddish
language newspaper for more than 40
years), The Temple (Tifereth Israel on
East 55th Street) and the old Scovill
Avenue home of Ohel Jacob. Next is the
Jewish Orphan Home, forerunner to
Bellefaire, and the old Montefiore home.
Left of the torch is a horse and cart (Jacob Saperstein's cart from which American Greetings would grow) and the old Warrensville Center Road shul. To the right is the symbol of B'nai B'rith and the Hebrew Cultural Gardens. Views of the new Cedar Sinai building are shown. At the very top are the flag of the State of Israel and the words "Cleveland Jewish News".
About the artist
was born in Cape Town, South Africa in
1972 to an artistic family, Barak’s
father Meyer is an acclaimed painter,
his mother a fabric artist, his brother
an architect, and his sisters musicians.
|Thanks to Lester
Tavens for the description of the
window, the image, and the information on the
artist, which first appeared in a
Cedar Sinai Newsletter.
Our pages on
Sam and Minnie Klausner tell of
the Tetiever Congregation, which
built its first shul on East 40th
Street (1914), then Linn Drive in
Glenville (1926) and then the
Warrensville Center Synagogue