Mary Klausner and her husband Issie Klotzman
Mary Klausner, the oldest daughter of Schmuel and Mindel (Sam and Minnie) Klausner, was born near Tetiev, Ukraine on December 12, 1896. She came to Cleveland in August 1910 at age 14, with her father Sam and brother Harry. Her two older brothers were already here. Mary would help around the house and look after six-year old Harry.
We quote below from a memoir Mary dictated to her daughter Betty around 1940. To read the entire letter, click here.
Isadore (Issie) Klotzman, age 16,
appears in the
1910 census living at 2636 East 29th
Street with his parents Samuel and Esther.
It shows Issie's father Samuel, a peddler, arriving in
1903; the mother Esther and the three children in 1907. (see lines
Issie loved horses and obtained work making deliveries for a Kosher butcher, using a horse-drawn carriage. Soon he was promoted to working in the shop and he learned to be a butcher.
After some years employed as a butcher, Issie opened his first butcher shop. As he was a member of the Tetiever shul, then located at East 40th and Woodland, we can assume that his first shop was located in the same neighborhood.
The immigrants who had come to the Woodland area in the years 1880 - 1910, began moving east in the 1910's and by the early 20's the movement accelerated. Most Jews moved to northeast the Glenville neighborhood, others went southeast to the Kinsman-Mount Pleasant neighborhood.
In the depression Issie lost his butcher shop and went to work for the Klausner Cooperage as a factory supervisor. He would work seven long days each week and take public transportation from his home to the factory on Grant Avenue. In 1938 he opened his second shop, Parkgate Meat Market, at East 105th Street and Parkgate in the heart of Glenville. It was less than a mile from the Tetiever shul on Linn Drive and less than a mile from his home.
In 1953 Issie moved
his store to
1839 South Taylor Road in Cleveland Heights, which was then becoming
the heart of the Orthodox Jewish community. His son Fred built
the new store. About ten years later Issie sold the
store and retired.
Where the Klotzmans lived
In 1925 Issie, Mary and their children moved to a small apartment building at 11209 Whitmore Avenue, near Lakeview Road in Glenville. This was not far from the planned new home of the Tetiever synagogue on Linn Drive.
In the 1940s and early
1950s Jews left Cleveland's Glenville neighborhood for the "Heights":
the inner-ring suburbs of Cleveland Heights, University Heights and Shaker
Heights. In 1950 the family moved to a home
at East Silsby and Halcyon in Beachwood.
The Klotzman children
Mary and Issie had three children and seven grandchildren:
Mary and Issie
family in 1951
Back: Fred Klotzman, Judy Vision (soon to be Judy Klotzman), Marv Yelsky
Sofa: Betty Klotzman Bernstein, Issie and Mary Klotzman, Ruth Klotzman Yelsky
Front: Gary Bernstein; Monte Bernstein; Lanny Yelsky
Not included: Sam Bernstein who was taking the picture.
For the complete letter about Mary Klausner Klotzman,
Issie had a Kosher butcher shop and he would be a life-long member of the Orthodox Tetiever congregation. In 1957, when the Tetiever shul on Linn Drive built a new synagogue on Warrensville Center Road in Cleveland Heights (it was the largest of the three congregations that would coalesce into Warrensville Center Synagogue), Issie made that transition.
Later, five more small synagogues would join the new synagogue. The sons and grandsons of the men who at the turn of the century had formed shuls based on country of origin - Hungarians, Tetievers, etc - had become American Orthodox Jews.
In 1990, after the death of Rabbi Jacob Mushkin
who had served for 40 years and helped unify the eight
former congregations, the Warrensville Center Synagogue adopted a
new name: Kehillat Yaakov (Jacob's community) and
recently built a new home on Cedar Road near Green Road.
1969 - Issie
and Mary Klotzman receive a toast from their son Fred.
Death and burial.
Issie Klotzman died in 1971,
at the age of 77. Mary died in 1975 at the age of 79.
They are buried in Ridge Road #2 cemetery, in the
section the Tetiever Benevolent Society acquired more
than 100 years ago.