Chibas Jerusalem (11/09/13)
On or just before November 7, 2013 part of this old building,
once built in 1926 by one of our largest Orthodox synagogues,
Jeffrey Morris synagogue history collection
Jeffrey Morris has web published much of his rich collection of images
and documents on the history of our old shuls as "Jewish Cleveland: Haymarket to the Heights".
Stained Glass window in memory of Rabbi Israel Porath
In the chapel at Oheb Zedek Cedar Sinai Synagogue.
by Shony Long (6/26/13)
A lovely and now confirmed story about the "tenth man" at a
Heights Jewish Center morning service and Rabbi Israel Porath.
Rabbi Israel Porath
1886 - 1974 (6/21/2013)
Israel Porath was the "dean" of Cleveland's Orthodox rabbis. Six family members (two here, four in Israel) furnished content for a new 20 page section of this site.
Cleveland's CCAR presidents (3/01/2013)
Which Cleveland rabbis have led the Central Conference of
American (Reform) Rabbis? Just-elected Rabbi Richard Block is the
The beginnings of the Soviet Jewry movement in Cleveland (3/01/2013)
Co-founder Herb Caron relates how the fight to free Soviet Jews
began here in 1963.
The 1966 proclamation on Soviet Jewry
Cleveland proclaimed December 9-11, 1966 to be a "Sabbath of
Dedication for Soviet Jewry". We show the proclamation with a
photo of its signing by Mayor Ralph Locher.
Jewish Cleveland - by Jane Avner (1/08/2013)
A one web page history of Jewish Cleveland, by Jane Avner PhD,
co-author of the revised edition of "Merging Traditions".
From 2006 edition of Encyclopaedia Judaica.
The 25th anniversary of Summit Sunday
We report on the December 6, 2012 commemoration of the 25th
anniversary of the Free Soviet Jewry demonstration in
Rabbi Michaelis Machol
Nathan Arnold tells us about Rabbi Machol, Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple's
last European born rabbi, who served the congregation for 36 years (1876 - 1912).
Abba Hillel Silver Archives
About the Silver archives, stored at the Western Reserve
Historical Society in Cleveland. On 235 reels of microfilm,
it is available to scholars worldwide.
Mayfield Cemetery deeds
The three real estate deeds (1887 - 1890) that established
Mayfield Cemetery and its joint ownership by Tifereth Israel and
Two early confirmations
We find, display and comment on two Plain Dealer reports on
confirmation ceremonies: one in 1864 at Anshe Chesed and one in
1868 at Tifereth Israel.
Cleveland's Holocaust Memorial
Kol Israel Foundation's memorial in Zion Memorial Park was dedicated in 1961.
The Jewish Scene radio broadcasts
Starting in November 1978, for more than 21 years these
community-sponsored Sunday radio broadcasts won many awards and
had an audience that reached 60,000.
This Tempting Freedom
In 1973 Allan Peskin PhD, Professor of History at
Cleveland State University, wrote the best history of
the city's first Jews and Anshe Chesed, its first
synagogue. With his permission we asked CSU to digitize
and web-publish this out-of-print book.
The Jewish Orphan Asylum
Professor Gary Polster, author of "Inside Looking Out", the book about the Jewish Orphan Asylum, provides a
page on the institution founded by B'nai Brith in 1868 for Jewish orphans of the Civil
War. We know it today as Bellefaire - JCB.
Jewish members of Cleveland City Council
The toughest page on this site. When first published in May 2010
it had nine names. After online research, visits to the city's archives, plus
suggestions received, it now tells about 28 of them. We think we've
found them all. (Famous Last Words)
1899 - Jewish leaders fight for political reform (12/22/2010)
They rent a hall to persuade Jewish voters to vote for a reform mayoral
candidate. Rabbi Moses Gries says "Don't be subjects of the Czar"
- the Czar being ward boss Harry Bernstein. The next day's Plain
Dealer told the story in incredible detail.
The Rise and Fall of Czar Bernstein 1907
A Plain Dealer Sunday Supplement story about Harry (Czar)
Bernstein, Republican political boss and entrepreneur, and his
fall from wealth and power.
A 1920 directory of Jewish Cleveland (11/21/2010)
We found the American Jewish Yearbook for 1920-21. We've captured
the Cleveland pages so you can get a sense of organized Jewish life here 90 years ago.
Elie Wiesel told the Dalai Lama
Years ago the Dalai Lama asked Elie Wiesel how the Jewish
people survived without a homeland. Because Wiesel's reply speaks
to the purpose
of these pages, it's now at the top of our "About This
Federation moves east - a chronology
In 2008 we added pages to show the nine offices Federation
has used since it began in 1903 - all of them downtown. Our new page links to press
releases and newspaper accounts that outline the great 2008 debate
about moving east,
the Board's decision of 9/11/2008, and the move to Beachwood.
No commentary - just the facts.
The Eagle Street Synagogue building around 1928
Railroad historian Drew Penfield found this sad picture of
Cleveland's first synagogue building, now being used as part of
a freight depot.
Annual review of website History
We believe that organizations that tell their history well
inform new members, show how they have adapted over the years
and recognize their past leaders and donors. This year's survey
of Jewish organizations finds improvement, though there are
still some, including one more than 100 years old, whose pages
|The Tannersville photo taken in 1906
For years I had been looking for the photo of "Abe" Silver at his first Zionist meeting. He is at the 1906 national conference in the Catskills,
only 13 years old, in knickers. Then Marshall Weinberg, a grandson of Zvi Hirsch Masliansky, mailed me a Zionist newspaper printed in 1936. In it was this precious photo.
Zvi Hirsch Masliansky's Eulogy (8/06/2010)
In 1943 Rabbi Abba Hillel Silver gave a eulogy for the man who
had been his oratorical inspiration. We show the handwritten
notes for it. From the Silver Archives at WRHS.
Case's great gift to Cleveland's Jews
Why, in 1843, did Leonard Case Sr,
a Protestant, give The Israelitic Society (Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple)
land for its first synagogue? This is the first time the full story of the gift has been told.
We find reasons going back to 1750. How we learned about it is an incredible chain of old-time story-telling
and modern technology.
CJN's new Digital Archive
The Cleveland Jewish News Digital Archive, a searchable
resource, has every CJN issue since its first one in 1964. It's
a wonderful (and almost free) new tool for anyone who want to
learn more about the stories of their families or their
Abba Hillel Silver's funeral
We show the four-page description of the service, with the
eulogies and prayers, that The Temple mailed to its members a
few weeks after his funeral, and add brief bios of the seven
participants in the service.
Abba Hillel Silver's gravesite
He is buried in a beautiful, simple space in
Mayfield Cemetery, marked by a huge
granite boulder: wife Virginia on one side,
son Daniel Jeremy Silver on the other.
B'nai B'rith building on
East 55th Street lost by
Here, on February 24, 1917,
24-year-old Abba Hillel
Silver gave a speech that
all the trustees of The Temple
heard. They immediately
decided to bring him to
Our first three cemeteries
This page, developed with Nate Arnold, began with our attending
the rededication of Fir Street Cemetery, then to Willet Street,
and last to Mayfield Cemetery.
Around 1900 Harry (Czar) Bernstein, the Jewish ward leader had so much influence that a bend was made in a street to
leave his saloon undisturbed.
With more than 250 pages it was time for a one-line-per-page Table of Contents.
Virtual Tour of Old Jewish
Nate Arnold, who has led
many all-day bus tours of
old Jewish Cleveland,
"scripted" this virtual tour
of the old neighborhoods and
Congregation Brith Emeth and Rabbi Philip Horowitz
Professor Alan Levenson, our favorite teacher at the Siegal College of Jewish Studies, left for an endowed chair at the U. of Oklahoma.
He let us publish his essay on this Reform congregation (1959-1986) and Philip
Horowitz (1922-2002), its founding rabbi.
The Temple at
University Circle Starts a New Life (3/19/2010)
On March 19, 2010 it was announced that The Temple at University
Circle will start a new dual life as the Milton and Tamar Maltz
Performing Arts Center of CWRU, with The Temple continuing to
use its Sanctuary for High Holy Day worship and life cycle
events. Our page was up that day, noting that no page had given
us more pleasure.